Commercial filming requests
Port of Melbourne receives many requests to film in and around the port each year.
Filming at the port is a complex logistical task, requiring liaison between Port of Melbourne, its tenants, the Harbour Master (www.vicports.vic.gov.au), CASA and traffic management.
The port has similar border force, customs, quarantine and security requirements to commercial airports. Some requests may not be able to be accommodated. Please note, our international container terminals are restricted areas and are accessible at the discretion of the operators.
Filming requests require considerable resources by Port of Melbourne staff, and therefore we seek to recover our costs through an application fee and a location access fee.
The following are the minimum charges. Please note that the fees may vary if additional security personnel or resources need to be deployed to facilitate your request.
- Application fee $500 plus GST (per application)
- Location access fee $3,000 plus GST per 24 hour period (subject to approval of your application).
Commercial filming applicants need to arrange appropriate insurances, traffic management plans and security (as required), as well as the prospective location fee. Port of Melbourne’s standard indemnity form must also be completed.
Port of Melbourne and its tenants may reserve the right to review and vet footage.
Please also allow sufficient processing time for your requests. As a minimum, the following are required:
- Applications will need to be reviewed and you will be informed of a decision within 10 business days.
- All approved applications will need to be further coordinated for access to the port and this require a further 5 business days.
- Applicants will also need to agree to the terms and conditions for access to the port. These conditions are provided in Access Authority Form for your reference